PureVPN Banner

PureVPN

Products You Can Use!

Use Filmora video editor to express your creativity and amaze with beautiful results.

Walmart Tech

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Linksys E2500 WiFi Router


Linksys E2500 Review

I purchased this router from our CompUSA store for $79.95 a few days ago to replace a WRT54GL (pictured at right) that performed admirably for many years before being fried by lightning. The Linksys E2500 Router is billed as an Advanced Dual-Band N Router for active online households and home offices. I figured that meant that it was a robust device with lots of connectivity options, which led to my one disappointment with the unit -- it does not support wireless bridging or repeating functions.



I wanted to bridge the E2500 (pictured at left) with an older Motorola WR850G to extend the Wireless G range in my home. Most of my devices still use G, with my work laptop and Roku box being the exceptions. I
had this working just fine with the previous router. Without doing the bridge, the Wireless G coverage in my home is not any better than it was with the old one and is maybe even a little less. I am
hoping that Linksys adds the Bridging and Repeating functions to the E2500 in a future software update. The hardware should certainly be able to support it.

Wireless N coverage with this router appears to be very good. I have a Roku player installed at the opposite end of the house. It reports the Wireless N signal is excellent, and I have not noticed any sluggish performance in streaming media. The unit is sleek, attractive, and thin. It doesn't have any lights on the front. There are four 10/100 ethernet LAN ports and one 10/100 WAN port for connection to your Cable Modem or DSL. Another nice feature is it's support for a Guest Network that is firewalled from your internal devices.

Overall, I am satisfied with this purchase. I do hope that they update the software to support bridging and repeating, or that dd-wrt comes out with replacement firmware. I would recommend the Linksys E2500 to others, especially if their need is mostly for Wireless N.

Pro's:
  • Fast Wireless N Connectivity
  • Good N Coverage
  • Easy set up
  • Advanced configuration available

Con's:
  • No bridging or repeating functionality
  • No external antenna support
  • Less than exceptional G coverage

Features:
  • 300 + 300 Mbps Speed
  • 2.4 + 5.0 GHz Dual-Band Radios
  • Strong Signal Range
  • Parental Controls
  • Easy Setup
  • A/B/G/N WiFi Support
  • WPA/WPA2 Encryption
  • SPI Firewall
  • QoS Features
  • One Year Limited Warranty


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this such a great information about LinkSys E2500 i shared this info to my all facebook and twitter friends because this info helps to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey very nice narration...great tips as well...Good going!!!
    Linksys Router Technical Support

    ReplyDelete
  3. For this low price, router is amazing. http://www.topreviews.best/main-review/best-wireless-routers rewiev. Good perfomance, more pros than cons.

    ReplyDelete

iolo System Mechanic

iolo technologies, LLC